View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
mangrovedutch (Dutch)
SPACE CADET

As per Trevors statement, but on the camera front, I would look at the 500D or even a 550D (15 and 18 MegPix) and also the ability to use them for HD video. I don't know how much you know about cameras, so finding a starting point of discussion regarding cameras is a bit difficult. Do you want to use them solely for Astrophotography or use it for Terrestrial captures as well (you can modify cameras to work like the Canon Eos 20Da)? You can interchange lenses with a DSLR, so wide shots of the Milky Way become possible using a wide angle lens (10-20 Sigma or 10-22 Canon lenses). My suggestion is research. Look at what you want to achieve and how you will process that information you have captured (Photoshop, stacking etc). In order to get planetary or Deep Space captures, you will need an Equatorial mount to track withthe earths rotation.
I don't want to scare you away, but want to be realistic in the work involved and also the amount of $$$ that will need to be spent. Don't jump in head first but ask a lot of questions of yourself in what you want to achieve and then ask anyone on this forum for further advise. This is a fascinating hobby that will hook you and cost you plenty of money.
Remember there are no dumb/stupid questions, and people are there to help and guide you. Have a look at the Our Community section in the column on the left and find an Astro club nearby. Attend one or two of their meetings and have a look at the equipment used to get a better understanding.

All the best in your quest,

Regards, Dutch