View Single Post
Old 15-10-2020, 10:16 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Cable management's a bit easier on my Ioptron CEM60

Just a not-so-short spiel on my present activities in setting up my obs GSO Newt to have no cables at all between the obs mount and the OTA, a GSO10" CF truss Newt with Losmandy Bar on top to mount the various bits.

A wifi-connected NUC and a Powerbox Advanced (A bit pricey but highly recommended) allow pretty well all functions to be controlled at the OTA. The only function that presently needs a cable from the OTA is the USB2 guide signal from the NUC, and I am planning on routing a short USB2 extension cable down the Ioptron cable management duct to connect to an Aliexpress USB/rs232 cable to the mount rs232 rj11 port to remove even that cable.

The USB2 ports on the CEM60 are pretty useless for me as they expect the PC to be external to the mount, so can't use them to send USB data from the OTA PC.

The DC input port on the mount works well in feeding the OTA Powerbox, which then does Dew, focus control and all DC feeds at the OTA. I'll probably post some pics once completed, but the bottom line is that the Ioptron cable management facilities are very handy.

As an ex-EQ6 Pro owner and present AzEq6 GT owner, I'm a little mystified why the Ioptron CEM's don't seem to get much coverage with IIS members. Might be the relatively sparse local representation, although my only tech support need was handled efficiently and well by the US Ioptron folks.