View Single Post
Old 13-10-2020, 10:47 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi Mark,

My input, for my setup I feed all the cables into single loom starting from the furtherest away. I then place spiral wrap to contain the cabling s it meets other cables on the way down. The method mentioned below takes a path along with the protection of the spiral wrap to avoid snags.

When ever I reach a point were the scope rotates and the cable is temporaily attached where I picked a point that appears correct and test it by free rotating the mount to check the cable twist and path, at the same time selecting a better path as I go down.

My first iteration was to place 2 looms, one was from the camera (power and USB), which connects to the guide cam (USB only) then place it along side the next loom that was the Mount Power and EQMOD serial connection. The 2 looms then combine to a single loom that finally interfaces the computer.

The second iteration is now to completely separate the guide camera and add other cable looms that will be used for other items later down the track (focuser, dew heater ...). This iteration looked at any issue I found with the first iteration (only one where the loom was too tight, will use a large spiral wrap to allow freer movement of the cable). Also I am making multiple looms with temporary fixings so I pull each component off one at a time as I dismatle for travelling. As I live in a rental I can't permanently set up a mount so I decided to create separate looms for each item.

If I can set up a permanent pier I would retain exactly what I have into a single loom at the fixed part of my mount as this is the most reliable and easier to manage method.

I apologise that I do not have any close up photos as I set it up and pull it down to work on a better remote operation. When I put it back together I will take a photo. How long I am not sure.

Cheers

Malcolm