View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I can see M17 in the 50mm finderscope but it is onaxis obviously and spot targetted. I am pretty sure that the Orion 50mm guidescope is axis aligned but I can never see the DSO in the guidescope camera.

The guide camera is a ZWO ASI130MM, which is a constant streaming high frame rate camera and care does have to be taken with sync of exposure timing with PHD. Being a fast frame video stream it has to be set for a very short exposure cycle with PHD in the low ms range. This is not the problem, as I can see stars, they are the correct shape, and properly focused. Other people are using the ZWO cameras for guiding without any issues.

I am seeing some PHD problems, sudden white screens, lost of star messages, but this is usually due to loss of sync of the framing. Calibration happens and it guides fine on bright stars like Klaus Media.
I just dont seem to have much in the field of view that I can use for guiding, and may try to mount my ASi130 on my AR102S (600mm shortie) and aim at M17 and see if I can guide ok with that.

I dont use the above camera, but I read the other day that these video cameras need to be set at specific exposures for them to work with PHD, this might be your issue.