View Single Post
Old 17-11-2015, 03:28 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Colour stability all comes from the settings. I've slowly come to the settings I have settled on after reading several threads on the camera, none of which had a definitive set of settings. I ended up zeroing on the last parameter that needed tweaking. Like I mentioned earlier, it took this thread for me to find the leads that I needed!

The controls of the camera are cryptic AT BEST. Remember that this is not a dedicated astro camera, and our purposes are out of the ordinary for it. GSTAR & Mallincam cameras are astro purpose cameras, so instructions are geared that way. You will need to ask Steve at Astroshop to send you the full instructions as the instructions that come with the colour camera are just too brief really,

Mirko, no offense taken, . It is all about horses for courses. Yes the images I've posted are 'underwhelming', as you say. I have a lot more to do to improve my image quality, and there are those who do get amazing results. For me VA is an out reach tool, & what I have is enough for me. But if you have vision impairment, or mobility difficulties, or a really confined to urban skies, VA can be the solution for you.

My initial inspiration for VA came from an astro night I did at Bear Cottage, a children's hospice, a few years back. I took my 17.5" dob, but a little voice told me to also pack my C5 & the modified webcam I had recently converted - the 17.5" sat in the corner all night, and we had a brilliant night looking at the Moon and Saturn! . Not one of those kids had any chance of looking into an eyepiece. VA was the ONLY way I could show off the sky to them.

Today I use VA to compliment visual scopes at urban astro nights