View Single Post
Old 15-06-2019, 07:55 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome to Iceinspace Jeremy.
You are on the right track.
I expect your sky is reasonably dark so I suggest the following for a little fun. When you are familar with your new scope dont be in a hurry to leave your binos behind but use them to search the sky to detect things to look at with the scope..a sort of discovery mission... I would do this but not only look for regions of brightness but also regions that appear rather dark☺. And then when you find yourself looking at a globular for example reference your star chart and identify it. Of course also set out with a list of targets to find via a star chart. Sky Safari is most handy. Also keeping a note book to record your night is handy...date, time, seeing conditions and notes on what you saw and your impressions. I find a section to record problems is handy...little notes to remind you of things to attend to for future sessions and remember sometimes one may be tired so not relying on memory is a habit to get into...particular good prepatation for old age as well☺. And on that note a proceedure list is a very good idea. That may seem odd in the begining but believe me as the game becomes more complex you tend to overlook basics that will bite you during a session....so if you one day get to narrow band imaging you dont forget small things like check all bolts are tight and the mount is on stable ground.
As to accessories...avoid them as a first approach☺ as with any hobby you think you must have this or that but rarely are most things needed or will be used long term...I recall thinking I must have a filter to correct for atmosphere correct to view Venus...sure it would give a marginal improvement but I probably only observed Venus two or three times ...and that was ten years ago so that filter could be sitting unused now but at the time all I could think about was getting one...I could still open a store with the odd things I saw as a must have...and folk will get things and tell everyone they are great so you get on the wanty wagon...
Probably the best accesories come in the form of warm functional clothes☺.
And I hope you can let us know when you get your scope and share you experiences.
Alex