View Single Post
Old 28-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Greggles (Gregory)

It came!! Its huge! But I can manage. I've taken in out the last couple of nights and have been relatively pleased, however I do have a question about collimation.

I've been bad and fiddling around with collimating the scope. I have a cheap laser collimator from Ebay (which I've collimated also) and used it to collimate the scope but noticed when sound around in the focused it gave different readings. I then put a barlow on it and used that method to the best I could. The laser and barlow produces a very unclear Image to work with.

Anyway I am unsure if it is collimated properly. Low magnification everything looks sharp. However, on high magnification (9mm, 7mm) the stars in orion's nebulae as well as other dull stars were not sharp.

Focusing on brighter stars like Sirius was easier and produced a round extrwmwly bright spot, I guess I would call the sound spor sharp but I really cant compare with any other veiws from large dobsonian.

Could this be collimation or just bad seeing conditions (today was extremely poor with light cloud cover on and off).

Any tips for collimating? Should I upgrade my collimating gear?

P.s Are telrads the greatest or what?! Bought one today and am loving it!

Cheers,

Greg