View Single Post
Old 28-10-2018, 11:12 PM
Greggles (Gregory)

Beginner - Next steps

Hello every one,

August last year I bought a cheap natgeo telescope on special from aldi to start my astronomy hoby and I'm hooked. You all gave me heaps of advice that I followed and I think it's time to take my next steps.

I live at botany in sydney and at the moment most of my viewing is done on my east facing balcony, haven't ventured away from home much as I would be alone in a dark place at all hours of the morning :p so to solve this I have been looking for a astronomy club to join.

Sydney city sky watchers would be "my local" but finding it very hard to find information about when/if they regularly meet up to star gaze. I know they meet for talks every month which is cool.

The NSAS is my other option but I'm just getting further away from home. Although they seem to meet monthly at Terry hills which is only about an hour away.

Any advice and tips on astronomy clubs would be greatly appreciated. Also is there any informal catch ups that happened around sydneys east? Safety in numbers :p

P.s My other big step is to get a new scope. will be getting a 10" Dobsonian for Christmas. Just need to decide between Bintel/GSO or skywatchers solid tube. The thousand posts I've read about them dont seem to make the choice any easier! So unless I'm missing a key peice of information I will most likely be going with bintel as it's closer to home and open weekends.

Thanks every one.

Greg