View Single Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:32 PM
stinky
spamologist

Mick - great review. I have the 6" Skywatcher / Eq5 and as a beginner will chuck my two roberts worth in.

The Eq5 mount with alloy legs is only just adequate, especially with the knobs supplied - certainly I will be going to motordrive.

CA is noticable on brighter objects but do not find this remotely distracting on, eg. Saturn at the moment. (And it's bright )

Focussing is a bit coarse, but that's no doubt my novice status and I'll give THAT time.

In another thread the lattitude adjustment of the mount was raised as an issue - to get higher than ca. 30 degrees requires modification of the front lattitude screw mounting bracket - for me 26 degrees took about 10 minutes with a bench grinder and file.

The finder scope is a pain to use within 30 degrees of zenith, and in that region I get quite comfortable on the ground. At least no sore back!

I am seriously considering a Baader Fringe-Killer and would like to hear any reports on that with the Skywatchers achros.

Thanks for the informative review.

PS. by way of edit - is the scope in the photos well balanced? Mine seems to balance across the average about 80% forward of eypiece using 1 1/4 diagonal and 1 1/4 20mm eyepiece which gets real low at zenith. (Easier to lie down than reposition the OTA!)