View Single Post
Old 17-05-2014, 04:45 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

success with TPAS!

Last night I had the scope setup and decided to have a go at the AN TPAS feature, just to see how much tracking would improve from the standard 2 star alignment I usually do.

As part of the 2 star alignment i had selected Alpha Centauri and Canopus, which would usually get the object just within my 24mm Panoptic, but hardly ever within my 13mm Nagler let alone 6mm Radian. I followed the AN manual and selected the following 4 stars as part of the TPAS model:

Regulus
Zubeneschamali
Spica
Arcturus

I then opted to compute the model based on the index error for my DOB (see screenshot for output).

I was amazed to see that even with this quick setup, most objects would be within the fov of my 13mm Nagler, and sometimes even 6mm Radian depending on the area of the sky. I had setup the scope on a hilly side of my house, so it probably would have been even more accurate had it been level.

I'll have to experiment a little more with this and sample more stars next time, but I'm really impressed with this feature and not sure why I held out so long from doing it! I highly recommend it for any Argo Navis users out there
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2014-05-17 09.30.14.jpg)
26.9 KB38 views