View Single Post
Old 26-04-2006, 04:01 AM
Gama

Well, i'd say 6 times the light grasp is pretty big. With 1 extra stop making a world of difference.
Its not the noise thats making the 300D less superior to the D200, but more its sensitivity. The 300D does not have a very good QE, thus it takes a little longer to accumulate a signal. The D200 has a higher Q.E and in turn is able to produce a image faster in the same given time. Of course the Hot filter will effect the H.a and I.R color signal compared to the 300D.
As for stacking, there is a difference, a 9 minute exposure is different to 3x3. You will as i said get the detail come thru above the noise threshold and a clearer picture. But it will not compensate for going deep in magnitude as long as the sky is dark and tracking is good.
Theoretical and practical are two different things. I agree it comes close, and produces a less noisy picture, but its not the real Mc Coy.
The SXV is a very sensitive camera, but as you said, the newer DSLR cameras are really starting to show their strengths. After i do a LRGB image using the SXV, it just doesnt have that smooth texture you see in books and expensive Astro cameras. This is because of the difference in the pixel count.
A 10 Mpixel image compared to a 1.4 Mpixel is a huge huge difference to image quality. Then binning it will create a very nice image in the end.