Thread: ASI183 or???
View Single Post
Old 15-08-2020, 05:15 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Get perfectly round stars. I do dither (up to 5 pixels) and drizzle integrate in PI. Here's an image from last time I imaged last year https://www.astrobin.com/full/mv7lg0/0/

Guide error.... errr.... don't you recall my guide error...essentially, well, none...

Autofocus? No way Jose! Bahtinov and Eyeball Mk.1 for me (zoomed in 300% in MaxIM 6)

Here's my guide error...yeah its in pixels, but I don't use PHD...MaxIM does a FANTASTIC job. Suavi, it is STILL not guiding on a hot pixel (another shot when there was a minor burp here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=225766)
lol I had forgotten about your hot pixel guiding.

I asked about focusing and guiding because in my experience these are critical to get the most out of your scope and if there was any question there, I'd be focusing (pun intended) on those before even thinking about a different camera.

Maybe you're an expert turner of focus knobs, but personally I could never manually focus as well as a properly-configured auto focus routine can do. In addition to that, if your stars aren't looking like little squares at 2.48"/px with a Tak, I'd be guessing you're probably not getting the best focus that you could. You're too undersampled for them to look perfectly round (in single subs, prior to drizzle integration).

As for guiding... it's common to assume that if your stars are round, your guiding is fine, but that only suggests that both axes are equally good (or bad). I can very easily misconfigure guiding to significantly increase my FWHM while still getting round stars. In my experience, solid guiding is the next most important thing.

If there's any question on either guiding or focusing, I'd encourage you to to investigate those first.