View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 02:03 PM
rat156

Hi Rez,

Other problems with SCTs and imaging;
  • Dew on the corrector, can be overcome, but is a PITA
  • Long focal length (not limited to SCTs, but all SCTs are)
  • Focus shift with temperature change (again not limited to SCTs)
  • Mirror flop

This is not to say that you can't use them, many people do use them, but if you want to take pictures and don't already have one, I would not advise to buy one. At the price that they're likely to be in Aus (~$4k) there are many, many better options.

I don't know enough about the NEQ6 to recommend or not, but there are many long threads about modifications to similar mounts being necessary to get decent long exposures. Why not just buy something that'll be great out of the box. Not everyone can afford a Paramount or an AP, but there are some really good mounts out there that you'll keep even when you change your OTA. Look into ASA (may be a bit pricey), Losmandy, Takahashi etc. I say again, spend most of you money on the mount, it's the one part of imaging which can give you the most headaches and usually offers the best "bang for Buck".

Try to avoid what most of us here have done, I am a perfect example;
  • First imaging rig, Meade SCT on wedge, with Orion ED80, imaged through the ED80, guided through the SCT.
  • Next, Meade RCX, Sbig camera with Adaptive Optics, wedge, permanently mounted.
  • Next, Losmandy G11, GSO RC, Sbig camera with AO.
  • Next Losmandy G11, Deep Sky Instruments RC10C, SBig with AO.
  • Next Paramount MX, DSI RC10C, Sbig with AO.
  • Now, PMX, ASA N12, Sbig without AO.

Now, the first rig is a consequence of what I had bought to start out, the rest is learnt from experience. Each stage of this evolution has cost me a fair bit of cash, so try to limit the stages. The Sbig cameras have changed as well, started out with an ST7, moved to an ST10, then to an STL11k, now I have an STT8300.

Cheers
Stuart

Last edited by rat156; 07-05-2013 at 04:34 PM.