View Single Post
Old 16-11-2008, 02:11 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

DJDD - The TMB 80/480 is a stunner... add it to the list in my opinion...

Also, the Megrez 90FD... I note you had the Megrez 102 in the list, but not the M90... They are roughly the same price, the M90 uses fluorite glass, where the M102 does not, they both require the same field flattener, and are both the same (or very similarly priced)

Stellarvue and William Optics scopes are similar beasts, both are beautifully made, look great, have great optics, however, Stellarvue scopes are all hand tested... The QC on them is 2nd to none... Thats something to think about.

Kal's option of the babyq makes me a little weak at the knees! I want one OH SO BADLY!! however $$..

The Meade 5000 ED APO is also a great option, being a Triplet, it should provide great images....

I suppose you could say "start off with the cheaper smaller scope" however all thats going to do at the end of the day is cost him more money when he decides he wants better quality/more aperture etc..

I say, buy a mount first.. find out how much money you have left to spend, then work out what scope you can afford to buy, including the prices of any field flatteners you might need, any extension tubes you'll need to reach focus with the camera, a finderscope if the scope doesn't come with one etc etc.

Say you have 4000 to spend.
Mount : EQ6 Pro (what are they now? $2k?)
Leaving 2k
Megrez 90 $1399
Rings and dovetail $150
dedicated flattener $270
2" 50mm extension tube $35
Finder and mounting bracket $?? say 80?

There you have it, with enough spare change for a box of beer!

Thats the way I worked out what I was going to buy... found out in total how much I had to spend, added up prices of scopes with all the required accessories and mods etc.. then simply chose the most appealing one that fit into budget.