View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 12:29 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

SharpCap and QHYCCD PoleMaster

I have been using a QHY5IILM for guiding generally and also to run SharpCap - I have to setup and pull down every night I want some photons so a fresh PA is required.

I am struggling with neighbours' trees and finding that finding the SCP is getting harder. So I decided to switch to a QHYCCD PoleMaster. These fit into the front of the mount in the hole where a polar scope would usually look through. The RA axis.

I found it initially difficult to find Sigma Octantis in the PoleMaster because it was a few degrees off. And I am operating in a town environment where light pollution is plentiful. So it was difficult to use it straight up.

I therefore decided to use SharpCap again. Well, blow me down, SharpCap recognised the PoleMaster camera and so I used it as the SharpCap camera insteal of the old trusty QHYIILM. And wow, it was an instant hit. It found more stars, plate solved almost instantly and was a breeze to operate with SharpCap.

Then, chuffed with that little bit of success, I thought I'd see what the correlation was between the PoleMaster software result and the SharpCap result. They should have been more or less identical.

I was surrised to find they were not. Well not exactly anyway. But only a poofteenth different.

So a win-win all 'round.

Peter