View Single Post
Old 23-10-2018, 02:53 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Glen, I think that raises another important point. If the noise reduction isn’t too intrusive, then it might go largely unnoticed in widefield. I’ve seen reports on CN that it can give rise to green stars, but I don’t own one myself.
Dunk, I am pretty sure I have noise reduction turned off on my D5300, but I will check that. As a matter of practice I always turn noise reduction off in my DSLRs, It was certainly never used in the Canon. Of course I shoot darks and bias frames. I think I picked up the D5300 setup programming off CN.

Here is one:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...0-ap-settings/

Rick makes a good point, when using a DSLR we have to go through the setup menu and turn off all of these sub-routines that some programmer thought were a good idea and which generate processor activity (hence heat and maybe unwanted AP outcomes).

My venerable ASI1600MM-C has the Olympus OM-10 (Panasonic made) sensor, in its mono form, has very little in terms of software control (and programming interference) other than shutter, download, etc functions; and that is all we need. If DSLRs came with an AP mode, which turned off all the internal gingerbread programming, that would be ideal, but doubtful as a sales success with the public. People have come to expect all that gingerbread, and imho it is one of the things that continue to make DSLRs expensive. The version 1 ASI1600 is pretty much the digital equivalent to my old Pentax KX film camera.

Last edited by glend; 23-10-2018 at 08:22 AM.