View Single Post
Old 20-11-2012, 07:34 PM
John K

Experiences with Lodestar Autoguider or equivelant?

Hi guys,

I am trying to guide a 12.5" f/5 telescope (1600mm FL) and Canon 400D with a short focus 80mm f3.7 refractor.

Although I have a Skynix 2.0 camera which I use for planetary, and I have tried using Metaguide to guide with it, I have been unsucessful. As such, I have now reverted to PHD and an SPC900 webcam.

However as you can guess, the SPC900 is really very limiting in terms of accuracy and ability to actually find guidstars. I appears that other for really bright star areas such as M42, I am not able to get the accuracy I am seeking in 3-5 mins exposures. As such, I am now in the market for a super dopper guiding camera.

Reading all the threads I can see that the Starlight Lodestar is way up there in performance and price!!

Just wanting to know feedback on using Lodestar with PHD and a short focus refractor compared to other guide cameras as I am trying to justify the $700 price tag for a guide camera which is more than double than what I would like to spend.

My buying criteria is ability to use with PHD and find guidestars without a hassle and accuracy at 1600mm FL when guiding with a short focus 80mm diameter 300mm FL guidescope (which can be beefed up with a 2 x barlow off cource).

Look forward to everyone's advice.

Clear skies.

John K.