View Single Post
Old 17-01-2021, 06:15 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Balancing a Sw 8" dob with goto

Hello All,

In a classic case of doing before thinking, I have been using a set of magnets in an old shirt pocket to balance my Dob. While I have used this method for many hours in the past 18months, I find myself wanting to use the actual goto function and regret magnetizing my scope tube. The compass ideally would go straight on the tube at TDC, which I can't do till I have demagnetized the tube. That should be easy enough...

Before I leap off on a tangent again to find I have missed the obvious, I thought I would ask the community with years and years of experience.
With the goto the tension nut is covered, I'm reluctant to use the scope outside for extended periods due to dew etc with the cover removed for adjustments.

Some of my thoughts (as stolen from websites and books) are:
a) Velcro Strip and heavy/variable weights in the pocket(with velcro) as before as I like the idea of being able to move the weight further from center for adjustments. But even with a 1"+ strip I'm not sure how much weight I can hold with velcro alone at near vertical.

b) There are 3x3mm(i think about 3mm) un-used threaded holes in the base of the scope. Attach a bracket using the used 3mm threads and have a wooden base with a few hooks on it that I can add extra weight to if needed. Not sure how much weight I could addon as the thread depth is about 7mm

c) same as B but use a length of chain and rest it on the ground, adding more loops to the hooks if I need more weight at the back. Again not sure how much weight I can place on three 3mm threads/bolts though...

So, any thoughts and suggestions of those who have been there and done that would be awesome.

Thanks
Steve
Ps. I may add as much as 3kilo's at the focuser, so, I may need to add a lot more at the mirror cell base for balance.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 17-01-2021 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added Ps.