View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 AM
WingnutR32 (Sam)

Recommend me a refractor for AP use

Hi IIS,

Whilst I am in the process of building my backyard ob (typical roll-off roof design), I have been considering a refractor to mate up to my QHY9-M.

I also need to consider how I will go about mounting the scope. I am using a HEQ5-Pro mount, C8 SCT with a piggybacked Orion ShortTube 80 for guiding.

Would I just replace the ShortTube with a new refractor for imaging and guide through the C8 or, (what I would consider perhaps working better), mounting a new refractor to the HEQ5 and piggybacking the ShortTube 80 on top of the other refractor for guiding.

I see a fair few of you use the Orion ED80T, which understandably has been getting really nice results. I have been considering the WO FLT 98 but at more than double the price of the ED80T, is it worth it, I have also been considering the Meade 6000 series?

Basically, I have nearly made it to the point where I have 'over-researched' my options and now just need someone to tell me:

1: Buy this scope
2: Attach it this way

Regards
Sam

Edit:
The refractor will be used for DSO Nebula photos, I will continue to use the C8 for planetary work and deep galaxies (unless the refractor is capable of this too?)

Last edited by WingnutR32; 05-09-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added info