View Single Post
Old 26-07-2010, 07:26 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re camera/lens selection.

A lot of thought has to go into these decisions,the user has to really have a good understanding of what fields of interest they want to do well in, in photography,and buy kit that is suitable for that,and they need to do lots of homework.

I too have spent over 8K in the last 12 months on gear,just over a year ago I had a 300D 17-85 and 75-300.Its all gone now,but it got me started.

I ended up with the 450D and recently a 50D,make no mistake,camera bodies are disposable items,including a 5d.

Its the lenses that are very important,those high end EF-S lenses and L grade lenses are worth every cent.

It took me a while to figure some of my lenses needs,and not so long on others.

My 400 mm L F 5.6 is my first lens,I am mainly interested in birding and some aircraft photography,so this lens on a cropper,remember that times 1.6 bit,and I can get some good pics with a crop and this lens.

My next lens is the 17-55 F 2.8 zoom,yes it expensive,but they colour that this lens gives,wow.Previously I had 18-55 kit and 17-85,there is a vast difference between these and the 17-55 F 2.8.

The other lens is a 70-200 F 2.8.a large lens,more of a 'special purpose' lens,do not use it as often as other two,but the bokeh,oh how gorgeous!

So,I have most general ranges covered,17-55,70-200 and long 400.

I also have a 60mm F 2.8 macro,these are gorgeous,lots of fun,easily L grade pics.

The only item I would like to buy sometime in future is a 10-22 wide view lens.

I can not understand the recent trend for camera manufactures to put video in DSLR bodies,it is about as useful as a chocolate camp oven,The only reason I can figure is its a sales gimick,to get more sale in the general public,i.e shop keeper can say it has video function,a bit like 'yes.it has built in flash",another useless feature.in DSLR bodies.

So really its entirely up to the requirements of each individual as to what gear they need.One thing I did learn its best to keep to in house lenses,i.e
stick with Canon or Nikon or Pentax,if you have one brand stick to it.Those non camera brands,IMHO really are not quite as good as the camera brand ones.I'd rather pay a bit more and have the lens last ten or more years.

So really those lenses are long term,bodies come and go.

Hope this helps.Chris