View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Ritchie-l (Ritchie)

ok, an update on my ideas.

on the bottom plate of my 8" Saxon DOBs i have put in a lazy Susan bearing to create as least amount of friction as possible, cost $18.00.
the 4 teflon brushes that pivit the vertical movement have been replaced with 4 roller bearings to free up the movement as much as possible, cost $28

i was thinking of some 1rpm motors with belt drives to run them but.

I was toying around with my 72" rc plane ant thought that a servo the same as the heavy duty ones in the plane without the restricted movement would be about the speed i need.

I did some research on the net and there is a mod that is easily done to unrestrict the movement of RC Servo's so they will turn uninhibitedly.
pulled the servo's out of the plane and went to work.
all of 20 minutes to disassemble, modify and put back together.

Now how to test them?
out came the receiver and the battery pack and plugged it all together.
to my surprised it not only has unrestricted turning ability but the speed is also proportional to the controller. now that a bonus.

my next step is to make some brackets to mount the servo's on and hook up some belts to drive the scope.

now I probably hear a lot saying why RC.
my answer to that is simple.
I have a strict wife #1
my scope is in the back yard when I am using it #2
my computer is at the front of the house #3
I use an AV sender and receiver for the CCD camera. #4
and I want to see what I am doing as well.

that should explain where I am coming from.

the next step after all is tested well.
there is an input on my transmitter for another controller device such as a trainer input.
all I need to figure out is the signal required to put in there and get the computer to emulate it. (maybe not that easy but worth a try)

now I hope I have sparked some interest, if not, no matter as its a start for tracking at very little cost to me. so I think Win Win, (if it all works)

Ritchie