View Single Post
Old 24-03-2016, 02:41 PM
glend (Glen)

Re the last post, batteries do produce heat as they are used and their presence inside the camera contributes to heat build up. If you are shooting a series of long subs, you can feel the warmth in a battery when you remove it as it gets down to lower power after some time at imaging. It is better imho to use a battery eliminator (like the Orion ones), as it does not create heat nor hold it inside the camera. It also makes cooling and sealing a camera much easier as you don't have to open it to change batteries. In my experience heat build up comes not just from the sensor itself but as much from the camera processor. The more 'work' being done by the image processor the more heat it generates. By processing work I am referring to is any programmed feature such as internal dark generation for each image, internal noise reduction, video processing is perhaps the worse, etc etc. Setup for astro imaging varies by camera make and model but you want to minimise the camera doing work that you intend to do in post-processing and through dark, Bias, flat capture. Also watch out for EXIF temperature data that is included in RAW file data, as it is not the sensor temperature itself but is actually captured at the processor. Some modern DSLRs actually have muliple processors, and these generate more heat than single processor cameras. I cannot comment on Nikons or Sony's as I have no experience with them.