View Single Post
Old 29-06-2009, 08:14 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

An update from another forum I posted this in:

"DDCSD,

Should not make any difference if everything is working correctly. Here in the UK we use a PME system. Effectively all the metalwork in a building is kept at the same potential so anyone standing in it is at that same potential, even if there are hundreds of volts shorting to earth.

And if the camera transformer pack is working correctly to remove any earth return path in the secondary windings, then "in theory" its impossible to get a shock. However, theres theory and theres practise. And the two can be miles apart!

Edited to add: Troy, I think I have grasped the point. You are outside the house? In the Garden? In that situation you should use an Earth leakage circuit breaker because you are effectively outside the protective "CAGE" I have tried to explain above. Read up on recommended protection for AC Lawn Mowers and the like. Current Operated earth leakage circuit breakers can be bought that simply plug into a 13amp socket and allow the equipment to plug into that. Go and see your local Electrical Wholesaler, trust me they will have what you need. The telescope is sitting on a randomly fluctuating voltage and thats the problem, not the camera kit. That's my guess at least. Personally I'd stick with batteries outside the protected house environment.
"