View Single Post
Old 16-09-2009, 10:32 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Off topic:

My dad bought one of the first V8 Landrovers in Aus back in 1979/80 I think it was. He was very disappointed at how slow it was. He took it in for its first service and I followed to pick him up. I passed him in my F100 like he was standing still.

When he got to the Landrover place they asked him if he wanted the antipol gear blocked off and disconnected (remember this was 79/80) and the restrictor removed from the carby. He didn't know what they were talking about, so they showed him.

Because of the suss drum brakes all round (yep drum brakes on a vehicle that heavy with a V8 motor ) LR put a 2" plug down the throat of the carby with 4 x 1/4" holes drilled in it so it couldn't draw fully, thereby keeping the speed down (Don't know how it worked but it did). Dad said "bloody oath" or words similar and commented on the heritage of British car manufacturers.

Well, on the way home, after the service, he passed me like I was standing still (I could see the grin on his face as he flashed past ) but it took him about half a km to pull up. He missed both the first and the second turnoffs (they were only about 150meters apart) and had to travel another km down the road before he could find a place wide enough to do a 19point turn to turn around and come back. But at least he had a much faster LR now.

BTW its clocked well over 1,000,000km now.