View Single Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:01 PM
gregbradley

I usually use 1x1 for luminance and 2x2 for rgb. I use 1x1 for everything if I am after detail in a faint detailed object usually a galaxy. You can then also desaturate the rgb data and add it to the luminance for a little bit extra signal to noise.

I find binning Ha workable with my CDK17 and 16803 camera - also the 8300 based camera for that matter.

Binning 2x2 increases signal to noise ratio by about double for same exposure time (varies with the camera).

The idea of binning colour is the fact that changes in colour in an image don't usually have harsh/sharp boundaries whereas details in luminance do hence 1x1 for luminance and 2x2 for rgb.

Additionally if the seeing is poor 2x2 simulates a larger pixel and reduces the arc sec's per pixel angle of view per pixel and thus a bit less sensitive to showing the blur from the poorer seeing.
So 2x2 binning makes sense in nights of poorer seeing or simply use a widefield scope for imaging on those nights and use the long focal length scope only on the better seeing nights.

Greg.