View Single Post
Old 29-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi P,

Wonderful timelapse, the colours and the scene are spectacular. I would have only wanted one thing - that it was a little slower, to match the music more. Of course that would have required more images for a smooth flow, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

Out of curiosity can I ask whether it is hand panned & tracked or motor panned & tracked between frames?

Best
JA
Hi
Thanks for the comments, I was a bit puzzled when I read your comment as there is no music on this time lapse yet. The only way to make it slower is to have it play at less frames per second which creates a bit of a problem in that the video will then be a bit jerky and not look as smooth. I am in the middle of a longer term project of putting together a longer video with some tips and pointers on how to shoot time lapse which will include more clips as well as music to which this clip will part of. Shooting with 30 second exposures over a 5 hour 30 minute period meant that for the resulting 23 second video played at 25 frames per second the camera set up took 582 images with a gap of 4 seconds between each one.
The panning/sliding movement that you mentioned is controlled by a piece of equipment made by Rhino Camera Gear, it consists of a sliding rail and two motors, the one motor slides the camera while the other one pans it. You set the camera to 'Bulb' mode and then everything is set up on the remote control for the slider including the start and end points of the slide/pan, the exposure time, the frames per second of the resulting video, the length of the resulting video and the period of the actual time lapse. From this information the control then works out the time between each exposure (in this case 4 seconds), it then fires the shutter, when the exposure is finished it then slides/pans the camera a tiny amount before taking the next exposure and so on until the time lapse is finished. the system is very versatile and there are several ways that you can create a slide/pan movement, it can also be used for real time video as well. You can find more info on this at their website at the following link

https://rhinocameragear.com/

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Gordon