View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Samyang 14mm arrived!

Inspired by Greg's thread about the Rokinon (Samyang) 14mm, I bought one off ebay.

I haven't had a chance to really use it yet (except for a few happy snaps in the backyard), but wow - the FOV is incredible and it really opens up for some creative opportunities.

I had the lens practically right on top of the cat and dog and yet you can still see loads of stuff around them.

It takes a bit of getting used to the manual f/stop setting and manual focus. The focus ring is very long - that is, there's a LOT of twisting to be done from one end of focus (macro end) to the other (infinity). It's certainly not the type of lens you'd use where you need to refocus quickly.

If anyone else gets it, don't forget to get the profile corrector for Lightroom/Photoshop to match the Canon 5D Mark II and Samyang 14mm. It corrects for some moutstache distortion.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lens...e_creator.html

Download the app, install it, download the profile and restart Lightroom.

In lightroom, the profile will be available under Canon, and in the lens menu right down the bottom.

Looking forward to using it in anger under the night sky or for some landscapes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2554-800px.jpg)
116.3 KB159 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2547-800px.jpg)
118.6 KB149 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2549-800px.jpg)
199.2 KB137 views