View Single Post
Old 19-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Semi-Automated Imaging

I have quite recently given in to the fact that in the near future it may be best if I take the plunge into ACP for automation.
I've been playing with SGP in recent times and although it does a reasonably good job, I'm not overly impressed with the focusing and the mosaic wizard (although very neat) doesn't suit my needs. I've found that SGP does okay in narrowband focusing if I use 10s exposures and I am imaging a reasonably starry field but really struggles with OIII and SII.

I am really impressed with the focusing routine on MaximDL where it does it perfectly with 2s exposures and the whole routine takes maybe 45s. SGP can take several minutes giving several attempts and still fail. I do however really like how you can get it to refocus with temperature change as opposed to time.

As a planetarium and other things, TSX is brilliant but I have found even basic sequencing to be irritating and unintuitive. I have found MaximDL the easiest to use overall BUT multi target sequencing and automated focusing is a real nightmare which is where ACP steps in.

What I do like with ACP is that I can import mosaic grids in from TSX, not sure whether CCDAP allows this?
I just started playing with FocusMax V3 last night, is V4 worth the upgrade?

ACP isn't cheap and I was hoping that SGP may be able to fill in that gap very cheaply but it just isn't suiting my needs at the moment :/
I need integration with TSX mosaic grid creation, does CCDAP allow this?