Thread: What do I need?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 02:49 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan05 View Post
Ok so the point I was trying to get across is what would make planetary shots bigger? What do I need to do or have to make my photos of the planets larger?
Dan, you need focal length, lots of it to make planets larger and clear. Unfortunately, ways of lengthening the focal length of your scope ( like barlows), slow down the optical 'speed' and thus you need increasingly longer exposure time to take a traditional long exposure image. You would also need a very good equatorial mount to track that planet, and you would need to guide that mount.
One popular way around this, is called lucky imaging, where you take a constant stream of video at high frame rate and then use software (like Sharpcap) to stack all those video frames. This can still require a rudimentary mount, but guiding can be avoided because high frame rate video can pile up alot of frames in 60 seconds. But for that to work you need a high frame rate video capable camera. Does your DSLR have video capability?
Suggest you search for info on "lucky imaging" to start with.

Imaging has a big learning curve, but starting with the Moon and a dslr is pretty much where everyone begins.

Certainly for the moon you should have no problems because its so bright, you can shoot short duration shots.