View Single Post
Old 13-06-2017, 10:29 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

DJT,

An interesting question and a lot of interesting responses. I see things differently to most people. I suffered a stroke 3 yrs ago, was half paralysed and spent 5 months learning to walk again though my left arm remains dead and useless with no hope of treatment in Australia. As I went through the health care system I encountered a wide variety of personality types all with the same struggles. Just like you expect in any real life situation, unlinke most situations where being lazy, or looking for shortcuts, or expecting others to do the task for you doesnt truely matter. When it comes to recovery from any brain injury it disappointed me to see people unwilling to participate in rehab exercises for their own benefit and would prefer to live from a wheelchair rather than walk again. Which is what my doctors and physios expected from me. Eff that!

So I can probably come off aggressive in my responses at times when I recognise someone too lazy to make the effort to try or learn and just expect to be handed a magic button to push to fix their images. The more you try, throw away ALL your assumptions, do the wrong thing anyway and it all adds up to experience and you learn how tiny changes can effect the outcome. Every waking second is a struggle for me and agonising pain, I can't use my good telescope anymore or do photography the way I like, I've had to adapt and find ways to get the results I want as best I can, which is still crap compared to most people but it's the best I can do at the moment. So i know its BS when people say they need tons of gear to do AP because they just don't. When you understand what is the problem with your images you should be able to find a way around the problem. If it takes a little extra time then so what? deal with it. Most of the whiners are using gear I would love to use and still their shots are crap compared to mine and mine aren't much good.

So yeah , if you post images to a forum, expect feedback, and deal with it. People expect you to listen to answers if you post a question. Sometimes people ask the wrong question, in time they hopefully understand why the question is wrong. None of us are perfect, and my point of view is astrophotography is mainly about the processing, which is time consuming and complex. There's no easy solution, just try things and try to comprehend what using X in program Y means in terms of your final image. Its typically a subjective process and I assume if you are doing research and need to make measurements from your images thats a whole other level too.

Also expect people to post reworked images too, maybe many do it because they dont understand either. But there are times it can show you original data contains a lot more good signal that can be teased out. Many posters dont provide much information on what they did to get the image in the first place so people dont have much to go on in providing a valuable answer and just go off the image. So dont just be disapointed by the responses if you didnt do enough to explain what you did and what aspect of your process you struggled with. Too many basically ask "I just bought the cheapest dslr I could find, Only took one photo, didn't try any turorials or read the manual: what button do i need to push on my camera to make my photo look like {insert any David Malin example shot here}". I dont expect everyone here to be highly inteligent and learners willing to actually learn I have tons of time for and try to provide as much guidance for them. I prefer to steer them on a path they can learn from themselves and explore their interest rather than a cold: "press this button, adjust setting to this" which doesnt allow for much self discovery. I know my answers wont be perfect or the same as everyone elses but I am confident they will provide a gain to the person asking, if they ignore my answer or others disagree thats fine, opinions and all that. A few have provided feedback that shows they are taking stuff on board and learning, which is great. All I can do to help is provide information as best I can from my own experiences and hope some of it helps someone.