View Single Post
Old 13-02-2024, 01:29 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan View Post
Hi Martin and Joe,

I appreciate your reply and all the info you both provided.

With reference to Martin’s point number 2, during my research so far I’m aware there’s not a 100% perfect telescope for both visual and photography but I was thinking of buying something like a SW Quattro 200 f/4 newt that allows me to use as a visual scope for now and purchase a camera at a later date for basic EAA and photography. Would this scope be suited for this purpose or am I better off going with something like the SW 200 f/5 newt.
Shan,
As a beginner astrophotographer ( even EAA ) I’d strongly avoid f4 Newts until you achieve some skill set and advance to intermediate level in a few years time.
I’ve been at it 6 years now and all my carbon fibre Newts are f5 , they do a superb job , great all rounders !!
Just remember in EAA and AP , a suitable mount is first consideration followed by your telescope ( not in reverse)
A SW EQ6-R pro mount ( recommended max payload 15kg ) would suit the SW 200 f5 Newt for both EAA and Deep Space AP
There are many other brands and models to choose from but SW gear is a great first step in regard to cost , quality , local support and availability

Hope others chime in to give you more advice and recommendations

Cheers
Martin