View Single Post
Old 30-09-2018, 10:23 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

WARNING: Flocking materials NOT stable over time!!!! Nightmare stuff!

OMG!

What a freaking dust bowl nightmare!

I've just looked into a Maksutov that was flocked a few years ago. And the inside of the OTA looks like a cat has been sleeping inside it!!

The flocking over the years has been degrading, and the damned fibers have been shedding from the flocking like snow in a blizzard!

The scope has been well looked after, but the flocking material has proven to be a ticking timebomb that has detonated in slow motion. . . . .

In the everyday handling of the scope (picking up, transport, set up, take down, variations in temp and humidity , etc), the freaking loose microfibers lift off the flocking material and contaminate freaking EVERYTHING inside the OTA!!!

I've always been unconvinced by the use of these flocking materials, especially knowing what they are made of, and I've always had a suspicion that they ARE NOT STABLE OVER TIME. And now that suspicion has been proven correct!

If you are thinking about flocking the inside of your scope, DON'T.

If you have already flocked your scope, BEWARE OF THE FLUFFY BOMB THAT IS ABOUT TO ERUPT!

And if you have fans inside your flocked scope, boy, you are in for a real FLUFFY treat!

Note also that NO scope manufacturers FLOCK the inside of their scopes! They know that stuff is a disaster.

And to clean out this mess will be a really crap job

Alex.