View Single Post
Old 31-01-2011, 03:42 PM
PaPPy (Con)

Hello

I am fairly new to star gazing and have enjoyed a great read in this forum and have just joined up since it has given me a lot of information and all the members here seem really knowledgeable and helpful indeed.

I have recently purchased an 8" skywatcher dob and have immediately fallen in love with it..I know, I know, I gotta get out more anyways, it's been an absolute breeze locating Jupiter, the Moon (ofcourse), Saturn and even a very bright glimpse of venus...albeit having to stay up until around 5am and battle those bloomin' mozzies. I am using EP's supplied ie..10mm and 25mm and also have a 2x barlow. I have enjoyed some great views, but am now at the point where i want to 'add to the fleet' so to speak.
I apologise for if this has been explained multiple times, however, I am unsure what the coloured filters will help with, what each colour will provide in viewing experience and also recommended filters for viewing nebulae and galaxies and why?
Finally, due to premium EP's costing over $300AUS, are there any 'higher range' EP's (compared to the standard $30 jobs) that are great quality and worth purchasing that may cost around $100 or so, or do i just keep saving the pennies for the premium EP's?

any input would be greatly appreciated...and sorry for the novel

PaPPy