View Single Post
Old 19-10-2010, 07:45 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Carey,

to IIS!

Binoculars are a fantastic instrument for astronomy! Believe it or not, there are some objects in the sky that are so large that binoculars and not a telescope are the best way to observe the entire object.

In the 'Oberservational and visual astronomy' forum, there is a monthly Challenge. It is not a competition but a resource for new comers to have somewhere to start finding objects, and for old dogs to either reaquaint themselves with old fav's or help with ideas for planning sessions.

I've got a thread running in the 'beginners talk' forum with links to the monthly Challenges, with a little blurb relating to each month's focus objects.

This month's in particular has emphasis on binoculars.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=58900

Or you can go directly to the 'observational and visual astronomy' forum and have a look through the various topics raised. It is also a good place to ask questions for tips on looking for particular targets.

Before you purchase a scope though, I'd suggest you go to an astro club or some other 'star party' to have a look at what these scopes both look like and perform like. You might be surprised at just how big an 8" dob can be if you've never seen one before. I realise that it might be tricky with a 3 year old, but they might surprise you with their enthusiasm and excitment. The astro clubs are most welcoming places and you can stay as short or as long as you like. You will find many listed under the "Our Community" heading in the top left margin of the IIS pages. You can also start a thread asking for a local get-together either here in the Beginners forum or even in the Star Parties forum.