View Single Post
Old 19-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesbie View Post
It'd mean that I need to have a spanner in my kit but that is no problem.

Regards
Scott
I have found that, because they are fairly chunky nuts and bolts, that I can get pretty good stability just nipping them up finger tight. But a spanner would certainly get them tighter.

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT: I particularly enjoy star hopping and learning the layout of various areas, and I've found it very useful to have the right finder scope. The ones that come with telescopes are usually straight through types and can literally be a pain to use, because of where you have to try and crouch to see through them. I have two finder scopes with right angle erecting prisms on. These do two things for me: a) I can view through them comfortably and b) they turn the view the "correct" way up. Left is left, right is right and moving up and down all do exactly what they would if you were using binoculars or naked eyes.

One is 9x50 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/fin...nderscope.html

And the other is a lower powered 6x30 - but less magnification gives a wider view, which makes it much easier for me to follow charts without having to try and mentally reverse everything. Which gets harder at my age.... Using one of those finders usually gets me close enough to the target to then pick it up with the big telescope.