Thread: Hello Everyone
View Single Post
Old 13-10-2023, 06:54 PM
Rusty2

Hi Jimmy !

Before you blow your dough , have you thought about a Skywatcher Star Adventurer ?

I wish I had have started with something like that .

In my opinion it's a good place to start and there are benefits .

It works very well .

You can achieve longer exposures with wider angle lenses because your polar alignment doesn't have to be as accurate .

Easy to carry .

It's battery operated .

If you have a Dslr then you don't need a telescope and can use various lenses to start with .

Wide field astrophotography can be quite stunning .
https://duckduckgo.com/?va=n&t=hs&q=...ages&ia=images

You can get results immediately but will have to master finding Octans in your polar scope .

You begin to understand the importance of polar alignment and getting familiar with the night sky and what's where .

You can also begin your journey into post processing without outlaying thousands of dollars .

The whole point of what I'm saying is that a Star Adventurer will drop you into astrophotography without too many dramas . Basic gear and a easily portable setup can produce stunning results . If you find that you don't like astrophotography , then at the very least you'll get out without outlaying thousands of dollars . Astrophotography takes time and needs dedication .

Longer focal lengths require more precise alignment and that's where things change .

Longer focal lengths require a laptop or other device with programs that you will have to learn and become familiar with .

You may also need a guide scope and guide camera and if you want to lug all this gear around then you also need a power supply .

There's nothing impossible about astrophotography but it may be a steep learning curve and can be quite frustrating but once you've outlayed your money then that's it . You will either become an astrophotographer or your gear will sit in the corner gathering dust .
Good luck : )