View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryz View Post
Yep def don't have a Barlow

Do I need one for the moment? and does this effect the very good and nice instructions you've given? (partner also thanks you btw, copied the body of your reply into a email to her )
Do you "need" a Barlow? No.

Could you make use of one? Yes! (But don't feel compelled to rush out and buy one straight away - there are plenty of things to look at with just a 20 mm and a 10 mm, or thereabouts).

Be aware, though, that a 2x Barlow with a 20 mm eyepiece is pretty much equivalent to your 10 mm eyepiece - but which gives a better, more "comfortable" view will depend a lot on the relative quality of the two eyepieces, and the Barlow. And a 2x Barlow with your 10 mm eyepiece may give pretty poor image quality unless you have very good sky conditions.

Be aware, however, that there are those who feel that a Barlow is a great complement to a beginner set of eyepieces, while others will argue just as vehemently that you should spend your money on better eyepieces - see this thread, for example:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=118929

(I for one don't think it has to be an "either / or" argument - I don't see why you can't have a couple of decent eyepieces, and also use a Barlow to increase the effective range of the few eyepieces that you own.)