Thread: Camera control
View Single Post
Old 28-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
As already mentioned the TC-80N3 is the way to go, or something similar, however you can't get a way from the extra time it takes to capture a dark for each light frame.

Although this dose double your times in taking lights, it is the best way to go, and gives you darks that are exactly the same temp as your lights.

It is a bugger to have to wait this long each time, but in the end it is well worth the effort.

Leon
Surely , since the temperature tends to be steady at night or to change very slowly , it is a case of overkill doing "darks" between each "light" of the same duration ?
I may be looking at this too simplistically , but surely you only need a "dark" every so often , say once every 5 or 6 "lights" and you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference if less frequent "darks" are taken ?
Or is this something to do with the time it takes for the CCD pixcels to loose those holes and electrons accumulated during the exposure due to the photons being captured ie it takes a while for them to diffuse out and so for the residual noise in the chip due to stray holes and electrons to disappear so you must do the "darks" to compensate for this ???

Anyone know ?

Note - I'm yet to turn my 40D onto the heavens , even to get it out of the box so though I've many many many years of astrophotography experience behind me (35mm film) , I'm new to this digital game.