View Single Post
Old 18-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Looking at the Jupiter image again and it seems that you've picked up one of the satellites in transit. Bright spot superimposed on the Northern Equatorial Belt, upper left of the disc.
As far as using the 6" newt for imaging the planets and the larger aperture will theoretically give you better resolution, use a barlow or powermate to increase the focal length to more like 2000 mm or an F ratio of 12 to 15. The planets are bright enough to overcome the longer f/l. and I would also suggest taking longer avi's, several 1000's of frames to get the lucky imaging of enough steady frames to choose from.
Don't know what settings you're using in SharpCap but I've been using a 6" f8 newt with an 2.5 Powermate a lot this year for my planetary stuff, that equates to f20. Rough settings I work with for Jupiter are 12 to 15 millesec. exposure, which gives me a frame rate of approx 60 / 70 a second. Gain about 250 and I designate how many frames to capture per avi rather than a time, somewhere between 2000 to 5000 frames is enough for me to work with.
At a frame rate of 60 a sec. a 60 sec. long avi will give you 3600 frames and 1 minute means you don't have to worry about Jupiters' rotation affecting the final image . I'm no expert at this but over the past few years these rough parameters have worked well enough for me and may give you something to work with.
Good luck and carry on regardless