View Single Post
Old 22-12-2018, 11:38 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Josu,

Can't speak for Darwin as I haven't done any observing up there but, I live in Far North Queensland.

Observing during the wet season is a bit hit & miss; Most of the time we have heavy cloud cover & often rain; when it's not raining, the humidity is usually very high which often kills the seeing.

Having said that, about a week ago we had a fantastic night's seeing as the temperature dropped & the humidity was under 50%. Took some video of the moon & defocused stars to send to someone on the forum to assist me with checking my optics & then later captured some great images of M42.

There is no astronomy club here in Cairns unfortunately & only a handful of 'semi serious' backyard astronomers that I am aware of.

I would think seeing in Darwin this time would likely be very similar but, the climate is even more oppressive than here in Cairns, generally hotter & far more humid.

Not sure if any IIS members live in Darwin; there used to be one I was aware of but, I think he has moved out of Darwin, not 100% sure.

Basically, this time of year is not kind to astronomy, dry season is much better seeing conditions & greater chance of no cloud cover.

Cheers