View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 06:12 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTrooper View Post
It's just a star.
If you track Saturn, it and it's moons will move very slightly against the background. All stars and anything not orbiting your target for that matter, will appear to move when you compare the two images.
Hope that answers your question.
thanks Ben, the motion is roughly aligned with RA so that makes sense.

please correct me if im wrong here, just trying to understand:

Saturn moves against the background stars, lets for arguments sake say 360 degrees every 29 years. = about 12.4 degrees per year = 2.04 arcminutes per day = 5 arcseconds per hour = 0.08 arcsecond per minute.

the object moves much more than that (my image scale is around 0.077arcsec per pixel).

since i am equatorially mounted and Saturn always centered, there shouldnt be any drift (and no field rotation since the moons move completely differently and not in line with rotation of the field if there was any).

would you be able to point me to a skychart that shows much fainter stars than the likes of stellarium?

http://theskylive.com/saturn-tracker is great but i cant figure out how to keep the very narrow field of view and change the time, so i can see what that star was catalogued as when it moved past.