View Single Post
Old 18-01-2021, 06:11 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I am thinking about giving a duoband filter a try with my ASI2600. In my case not to combat light pollution, more to see what the output is like if the debayer routines in Astro Pixel Processor aimed at NB filters on OSC cameras are used.

In APP there are debayer routines which pick apart the OSC data and construct mono images for HA, or OIII and so on, I am interested to see if it can dice up an image sub shot with a duoband and produce separate HA and OIII integrations that look worthwhile.
My personal opinion based on non-scientific comparisons of the output from APP when debayering in "Adaptive Airy Disk" vs "Ha-Oiii Colour" is basically identical, assuming the same data is fed in. I have never been able to see any difference whatsoever when feeding in my subs from an OSC with Optolong L-Enhance and L-Extreme. If you use the "Extract Ha" or "Extract Oiii" algorithms, Extract Ha should produce an identical result to what you'd get from the red channel of an image stacked with "Ha-Oiii Colour", whilst Extract Oiii seems to be the data from both the Blue and Green channels. Again, no scientific comparison has been done, this is just my observations.

In summary: the debayer algorithm selected matters little aside from the fact that Extract Oiii does combine the B/G data into a single file. You can debayer using the Ha-Oiii Colour or AAD algorithm and split the channels into R/G/B then use the RGB Combine feature to get a more-or-less identical result to what you'd get by using the Extract Ha/Extract Oiii algorithm and re-combining.

The output with a dual band filter will look very different to the same target imaged with a normal filter like UV/IR cut or something of course. I use my dual band filter even in dark (Bortle 2-4) skies sometimes as I prefer using the RGB Combine feature to edit, and sometimes I use UV/IR Cut as I prefer the broadband colours (eg M42)