View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 PM
DJ N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Nine View Post
Hi Daniel,

The OTA for the 12 inch weights 21kg, while the 14 inch comes in a little heavier at 23.5kg. The collapsible design obviously saves some weight which makes it a lot more comfortable for transportation.

I'd probably put the mount a little under the 20kg mark for the 12 inch, not sure what the 14 inch comes in at.

So altogether, around 40kgs. It is manageable for one person, if it's carried in two parts, which is quite simple to do. I have to carry mine around 20 meters to reach my observing point so its a bit of a walk, but I'm still young and can cope with it.

I was having trouble deciding between the 10 and the 12 inch but opted for the 12 due to the greater aperture. I'm glad I went for the 12, but I don't think I could've gone larger.

Certainly your call though, the 12 is large and bulky, but definitely manageable. Keep in mind though that you'd be needed to carry accessories with you as well such as battery pack, eyepieces etc...

Sorry for the ramble, hope you can make some sense of it and it helps you make a decision
Thanks for that Evan. I am really starting to think that the 14 inch base may be just that too little bit too big for one person. I think the 12 inch sounds like a great compromise.