View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Observing Report NGCLes Mudgee August 2009 Pt 4 (final)

Pt 4 ...

x185 27'

NGC 7288 Mkn 912 Galaxy *
RA: 22h 28m 15.0s Dec: -02° 53' 01"
Mag: 15.0 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 2.3'x1.5' Class: S0/a pec sp
P.A.: 104 Inclination: --- R.V.: +4807 Source: RC3

This is a pretty small but slightly elong eg in about PA 90. Maybe oval 50" x 30" lowish SB dominated at centre by a small slightly brighter core and a bright (in context) sub-stellar nucleus.

x185 27'

NGC 7287 (NGC 7287A) (ESO 602-20) Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 22h 28m 48.4s Dec: -22° 12' 14"
Mag: 16.8 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 0.5'x0.3' Class: S0
P.A.: 169 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: PGC

From the NGC/IC project home page:

17.5": very faint, small, slightly elongated, bright core. This identification
of this galaxy with N7287 is very uncertain and the number may apply to a double
star at 22 27 17.2 -22 07 03.

Discovered by Muller (II) and described as a "slightly nebulous **." . His
position is 0.2 tmin W and 4' N of E602-020A. Identified as a double star by Howe although the seeing was poor. This galaxy is identified as N7287A = E602-020A in RC3. ESO equates N7287 with E602-020 which is one magnitude fainter at the identical position as E602-020A.

Burnham (Publ of Lick Observatory, II) found two very faint objects about 20" apart although the following one appeared to a faint star only. I only recorded a single object in my visual observation.

Corwin notes N7287 may be a double (or triple) star as Muller originally stated (See NGCBUGS). But his position falls in a group of galaxies and it may have been the faint galaxy described here (Corwin feels this is less likely).- by Steve Gottlieb

Well I can only see one apparent eg here and assume that if this is a pair of eg in close proximity it must be a merged halo. Extremely tiny 5" - 10" a tiny, ephemeral scrap of haze that is found about 9' almost due S of a 7th mag *. Possible very, very faint spot in centre -- uncertain.

This is how it looks on the DSS (at centre):

http://stdatu.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/dss_...e&fov=NONE&v3=

Well it is almost 17th magnitude … whaddaya expect it to look like?

x185 27'

NGC 7301 Multi-Galaxy Sys *
RA: 22h 30m 34.8s Dec: -17° 34' 22"
Mag: 14.1 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 1.0'x0.5' Class: SB(s)ab pec:
P.A.: 1 Inclination: --- R.V.: +7212 Source: RC3 *

This is a quite small and faint eg in a mod populated field. Oval in PA 0 40" x 20" seems to grow slightly to centre and appears to have a bit of a weak streak across the axis near centre but there is no apparent core zone or nucleus.

x185 27'

IC 1445 Galaxy *
RA: 22h 25m 30.4s Dec: -17° 14' 32"
Mag: 13.5 (B) S.B.: 12.7 B-V: +0.84 Size: 1.6'x1.3' Class: SA(s)0-:
P.A.: 80 Inclination: --- R.V.: +2615 Source: RC3 *

This is not too difficult to see, it seems to be round, about 50" diameter and quite LSB with an almost consistent SB. Perhaps grows weakly to centre. No evidence of core zone or nucleus. There is a mag 14.5 * a little off the halo south.

x185 27'

NGC 7308 (IC 1448) Galaxy *
RA: 22h 34m 32.0s Dec: -12° 56' 00"
Mag: 13.8 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 1.2'x0.8' Class: (R')SAB(r)0-?
P.A.: 145 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

MCG -2-57-18 Galaxy *
RA: 22h 34m 48.5s Dec: -12° 54' 44"
Mag: 16.0 S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 1.3'x0.2' Class: S?
P.A.: 143 Inclination: --- R.V.: --- Source: RC3 *

From NGC/IC:

NGC 7308 = IC 1448. The poor position from the first Leander-McCormick list led Javelle to overlook the NGC number. Herbert Howe, however, caught the mistake and correctly identified the galaxy. It is about 40 seconds of time east and 3 arcmin north of Leavenworth's position. A sketch would not have helped to identify this as Leavenworth correctly notes, "No star in field." - Dr. Harold G. Corwin, Jr.

This is a very small round non-descript little eg in a pretty blank field. About 40" diameter and seems to grow evenly and slightly to centre where there is a small stellaring at threshold. To its E 3' is MCG-2-57-18

MCG-2-57-18 is a small slightly elong patch that is somewhat fainter than its NGC companion. Very low SB, 30" x 10" grows slightly in brightness to the axis near centre and seems to be elong in PA 150. Interestingly there is a star (not a “non-star”) shown at the NW tip of this eg on Megastar -- GSC 5817-1064 at mag 15.2 that is also in the A2 as 0750-21254623 or -11 or -33 (multiple entries -- unresolved as to which "star" it is at mags 15.5 to 16.2. Does not look convincingly like a star on Sky-Map or the DSS, but may be a small enhancement near the tip of the halo. Either way it wasn't seen in the ep.

The DSS image is here:

x185 27'

NGC 7309 Galaxy *
RA: 22h 34m 20.7s Dec: -10° 21' 26"
Mag: 13.0 (B) S.B.: 13.3 B-V: +0.54 Size: 1.9'x1.7' Class: SAB(rs)c
P.A.: 113 Inclination: --- R.V.: +3938 Source: RC3 *

This eg is about 7' S of of a 10th mag *, 1.25' diameter maybe even 1.5', round, diffuse looking growing broadly and slightly to the centre azonally without nucleus. This eg has a very interesting appearance on the DSS – it appears quite asymmetric in structure. The bright arms are unusually strong and well defined. It almost looks like a three armed spiral with the arms 120 deg apart. Slightly curious appearance.

An image of this slightly unusual looking spiral eg is here:

The arms in themselves are a little reminiscent of the appearance of M61’s arms. I see that it has been imaged in the infra-red by HST (NICMOS) but there doesn’t seem to be any papers on it and it isn’t in the Arp or Markarian lists – which is a little odd because it looks peculiar to me. Its classification doesn’t say much SAB(RS)c. Simbad lists it as an emission-line galaxy and a couple of papers refer to it as an active galaxy but there are no papers that seem to study it in detail.

x185 27'

NGC 7310 Galaxy *
RA: 22h 34m 36.8s Dec: -22° 29' 05"
Mag: 14.6 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 0.9'x0.7' Class: SB(rs)bc:
P.A.: 36 Inclination: --- R.V.: +9686 Source: RC3 *

This eg is a 8' NE of an 8th mag * and is no more than a very small, round blob of mist around 30" diameter with a weak azonal central brightening and no evidence of core or nucleus.

This was my 1000th Herschel General Catalogue Object and … the 4000th individual object in my log!!

Just for the record here’s an image:

x185 27'

NGC 7364 Galaxy *
RA: 22h 44m 24.4s Dec: -00° 09' 41"
Mag: 13.6 (P) S.B.: --- B-V: --- Size: 1.7'x1.0' Class: S0/a pec:
P.A.: 65= Inclination: 3 R.V.: +4906 Source: RC3 *

This eg is just a little away from the mid-point between a couple of mag 11 *s aligned SW-NE 17' apart. Small, 40" diameter, mod faint, round and grows evenly and slightly to centre where there is small faint stellaring dead-centre that tends to dominate it to an extent.

x185 27'

NGC 7365 Galaxy *
RA: 22h 45m 10.0s Dec: -19° 57' 07"
Mag: 13.7 (B) S.B.: 12.0 B-V: +0.89 Size: 1.5'x0.9' Class: SA(rs)0-:
P.A.: 36 Inclination: --- R.V.: +3081 Source: RC3 *

This eg forms a the RA in a RA tri between a wide mags 12-14 pair to its SE and 12th mag * to the NE each about 4' away. Small round, looking like a distant elliptical about 40" diameter grows evenly and mod to centre where there is an almost *ar nucleus at about mag 15 -- almost looks like a superimposed *.

After another long look at Jupiter and a few early-summer favourites, it was time to get to bed at almost 3am (it had been a 6.30am start for me). Just before I settled into my sleeping bag, I saw a few light high clouds beginning to drift up from the west.

On waking at 10am, the weather had taken a decided turn for the worse. The sky was more than 50% cloud and it was breezy from the northwest. After brekkie and a stumble around, I headed into Mudgee for a look-round to buy some liquid refreshments and a cheap and nasty transistor radio to listen to the cricket from England (more on this later). Also couldn’t resist an early lunch kebab from the IPSA shop who serve the best kebabs in the known Universe – they’re cheap too.

That done, back out to John’s and spent most of the rest of the afternoon attempting (in vain) to get some macro shots of the wattle in bloom at Observatory Downs. It was a futile exercise because of the wind and they were essentially all duds.

Gary turned up having driven from Sydney at about 4pm by which time the sky was completely clouded with the possibility of rain. The transistor I’d bought worked okay on FM but AM reception (where the cricket was being telecast on the ABC) was virtually non-existent it was so under-powered. So I just stowed it in the hope it would be useful one day. Something I didn’t realise was that it had a built-in alarm clock …

Cut a long story short there was no observing, the night was spent with a few drinks, a few nibbles, a good meal watching a bit of cricket on the T.V, and … that’s about it. We waited up until after 2am in hope but when we hit the sack, it was light, steady rain.

Saturday morning, for some reason, I woke at 6.45am and the eyes were not going to shut again. Gary was still deep asleep so, seeing a bit of sunshine and no wind outside, I decided to take a wander and see whether some wattle shots were possible. After a quick reconnoitre it looked good and I headed back to the car to listen to the 7am news on the radio and pick up the camera. Seconds later, Gary’s head at the door of the van said,

“So why is the alarm on your transistor radio set for 7am?”

Doh !! The little radio somehow had it’s alarm set and not at a good time.

So brekkie, a few wattle shots, a wander and it was time to head off to town, maybe a winery or two and whatever the day bought. And that’s what happened. Another kebab (they are that good), a visit to Steins for a few bottles and we popped out to visit Steve Quirk at Frog Rock Observatory. The cloud still hung around but as the day wore on thickened again so that by sunset, not a star to see. We spent most of Saturday night like we did the night before except that Richard and his daughter Alex turned up and we had a few glimpses through the ‘scopes with breaks in the clouds that offered just enough sucker-holes to keep you on your toes and hoping for better. Strangely, there were a few occasions during the evening when it sprinkled rain out of a clear nearly cloudless sky.

Sunday and the Sunday night that followed was almost an exact copy of Saturday save that we slept in without the alarm until nearly 11am and decided to give the Kebab a miss for today. It did finally clear up to an almost cloudless sky but waited till about 1.30am so we made hay while the stars shined. It was the warmest August night I think I can remember and the temperature didn’t dip below 20 deg C until after sunrise.

I spent a lot of time just scanning the SMC and then LMC. Last seen was the Horsehead nebula before the final pack-up and having slept in so long and having had a 2 hr snooze on the lounge while the cricket was on in the early evening meant I didn’t feel too tired and decided to drive to Sydney and get some kip at home.

Despite the less-than co-operative weather, it was still a terrific weekend. Thanks from all of us who went to John and Patti Vetter for hosting us so well – again!

http://www.mudgeeobservatory.com.au/

Best,

Les D