View Single Post
Old 15-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
I have also had times where the guider will suddenly give a big correction. This is using both PHD and CCDSoft for guideing.
Was it actually making a large correction? My problems are characterised by large changes with NO correction. I.e. it bounces off into the distance but according to the history graph in EQMOD and in PHD2 there was no guiding command sent to do it. That's why at first I thought external: bird, wind etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
re second graph posted, whatever it was affected both axes. Clutching at straws, but possibilities may be:
- sharp wind gust?
- sudden scope movement, maybe slipping slightly in tube rings or tube rings not rigidly attached to bar?
- Guide camera able to move very slightly?
- mount not locked down tight on tripod?
- are the three dovetail puck screws completely tight on the EQ6?
- power supply noise spike - eg when a fridge or aircon switches on/off.

If this was taken with an OAG through your C8, it could be mirror flop - I see similar sharp motion when the mirror in my Newtonian slips sideways on the supports.
The telescope is in a box with 4 sides, so no wind.
I'll check the tube rings. Unlikely as this has been a problem a lot not just with my current setup.
Everything else is tight, I learnt my lesson from the dovetail puck screws on the EQ6 at astrofest 2 years ago At least that was an easy fix.

The powersupply theory is interesting. Very interesting. I'll try and replicate the spikes and then I'll switch to running from battery. The only massively inductive load we have in the house is a fridge but interestingly I have managed to get the PC to play up by turning equipment on and off. I know I need to change the rail capacitor design in my little electronics project so this one here is actually quite credible. Thanks.