View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Brian and .
This 'Equatorial' stuff is a bit confusing to begin with isn't it ?

Please forgive me if I take you back to basics in explaining a few things.
The purpose of the Equatorial mount you have is to allow it to track a stars (or planet, moon etc) movement during the night so it can be viewed without constant readjustment and also for imaging using longer exposures.
The picture in the last post shows the Polar axis. You say you have set that to 37*, your latitude. This then needs to be aligned along a Nth to Sth line with the scope end towards the Sth ( Most instructions refer to the Northern hemisphere which is reversed of course ). That should point it at the Sth Celestial Pole (SCP) the centre of our astro view.
The scope can then be pointed at any object in the sky and should 'follow' it if motorised or at least stay in view if you slowly rotate the flexi knob for the Polar axis.

A couple of proviso's.
The DEC ( Declination) scale on most mounts is not particularly accurate and also relies on the mount being level at the head. There are free Inclinometer applications for phones\tablets which can get this more accurately.
The Nth\Sth line can be found using a compass (allowing for magnetic deviation for your location) or even a phone\table compass app although they can be extremely inaccurate due to local metal influences etc.

The simplest most accurate way is to use a plumb bob at Solar Noon. (Google this for an explanation and time for your location). This is when the sun is the exact North facing point during the day and a shadow line from a plumb bob will be exactly NtTh to Sth. I painted a thin yellow line on my driveway originally and when I built the Observatory and pier did first alignment the same way.

Re the EyePieces (lens as you call them) start with the EP with the largest number (25 ?). Place it in focusser and rack it in and out to see if it reaches focus. Probably not so add the 6" tube and try again. It should at some point become sharp. It will be a bit critical so take it slowly. If it is still not clear and you have checked that there is nothing covering or obstructing the mirrors you may have a problem.

Try this during the day, point it across the road or somewhere a bit distant. Hopefully it should focus and be OK. During the day you will find the viewed image a bit bright and soft, astro scopes are designed for night use and collect a lot of light which can wash out the view.

Next best advice (if you haven't already got it) is to download Stellarium (free) and start learning where things are and how it all works. It can be set to show the sky at your location and therefore show what is viewable right then. It also will give some excellent tuition about the sky and astronomy with it's coordinate systems.

OK, that will do for now. Come back and tell us how it goes and we'll start you down the dangerous and expensive path of astronomy.