View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Astrochem (Brian)

Post Setting up Luminova telescope

Hello, I'm brand new to the site and have questions about setting up a Luminova telescope, model 40-114675. The manual talks about the polar axis, declination axis and hour axis and many clamps and screws, but the drawings are so small it's hard to see which is which. I'm attaching pics and I'm hoping someone can be patient enough to help me understand what I need to do. Thanks in advance for helping.

The 1st pic is the accessory tray fitted to the tripod legs. There were rubber mounts on the end of the flanges, but I don't think they should stay attached because at least one of them will overlap the hole for an accessory. Is this correct?

The 2nd pic is the first of the equatorial mount. I would like to know which scale is showing, and the purpose of the bolt on the left. It doesn't seem to perform any function that I can see. Tightening or loosening it has no effect on the movement of the mount.

The 3rd pic of the second of the mount. What is the purpose of the bolt on the right? Again, I see no difference in movement of the mount when it is tightened or loosened.

The 4th pic shows the entire mount with all three scales. Which ones are they, from top to bottom?

Finally, the last pic shows the lens setup. This telescope came with three small lenses in individual containers, an eyepiece tube about six inches long and a Barlow lens. I think the setup should be either the eyepiece tube and a small lens, or the Barlow lens and a small lens, but not both the eyepiece tube and Barlow with a small lens. At the moment, no matter what combination is used, the view through the lens is cloudy.

I understand the function of the finderscope for this telescope, and I understand that is necessary to align the view in the finderscope with what is seen in the telescope. The view through the finderscope is as clear as I would expect.

Thanks again for reading through this and helping me to understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (telescope support tray.jpg)
150.3 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (telescope equatorial mount.jpg)
85.2 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (telescope equatorial mount2.jpg)
122.3 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (telescope equatorial mount3.jpg)
114.2 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (telescope lens setup.jpg)
77.9 KB63 views