View Single Post
Old 30-12-2013, 08:18 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I know my setup is VERY small in comparison, but my Vixen GPD2 pushing the FL102S with a Lodestar guider (using a Tak finder as guidescope rigidly mounted to the main tube), and using an SBIG ST-8XE cam, I can set and forget all night. I can not even hear the guide correction pulses etc (IF I do a GOOD polar alignment, which is always - I will not do an imaging run with a mean Alt or Az error in excess of 10 seconds out in each). I have had cloud come over and block the target for 7 minutes - the guide program just instantly locked back on when clear, since the star had been tracked PERFECTLY the entire time.

My graphs in MaxIM are VERY similar to yours Paul. Same in PHD, if/when I use it, but I find PHD guiding NOT as smooth as MaxIM's which seems to send VERY smooth, very short corrections.

I am always delightedly chuffed to see perfectly round stars across the FOV. It's one of those little joys in imaging. I keep telling myself I don't have aperture fever because that would mean most likely going up to the next mount, which I do NOT want to do considering how darned well this system seems to work.

Now if only I had a clue how to process all that data properly. THAT would be a god-send