View Single Post
Old 16-07-2014, 02:27 PM
SamD (Sam)

Yes, without too much of a fight, managed to get everything snugly together for my M42 lenses:

Basically, I've filled the M42 44mm back focus with:
7mm: M42 x 1.0mm female to T2 male adaptor ("Russian" adapter)
21mm: Manual filter wheel
16mm: Atik 314L+ with standard nosepiece to CCD

The camera+lens can then be attached to a dovetail using a cheap ebay/Amazon tripod collar mount ring. I used a "Tripod Collar Mount Ring for Canon EF 70-200mm" which has a diameter about 1-2mm more than the diameter of suitable mount points on the M42 lenses. An extra turn or two of felt tape on the inside of the mount ring and on the narrower lenses gives a really secure coupling. (It's all for wide field stuff anyway so any small flexure is unlikely to be a problem).

The three M42 lenses I've tried so far have had a convenient area between the focussing ring and aperture ring to attach the collar mount ring too, and the whole camera+lens is reasonably well balanced. Manual focussing on the lens barrel is fine by hand, I just use the Artemis Capture software loop mode to get the smallest stars possible.

The idea is that you need shorter focal length lenses to squeeze the wider targets onto the "smallish", but "relatively cheapish" 314L+ chip. You get about 2.5 deg FOV at 200mm, or 3.7 deg at 135mm, and benefit from the fast f/3.5 or so.

First go in the dark was a couple of hours total of Ha/O/S at f/4 and 200mm on Eta Carinae Neb (still learning on narrowband colours!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42_Atik.JPG)
89.8 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (NGC3372.jpg)
88.6 KB65 views