View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

The filter is a 42 mm screw on affair, it is needed as without it the chip will ice over really quickly, I have it straight against the camera, but I do have a series of spacers to give the correct distance for the Williams 68 mm flattener, I removed the train last night and can swap the filter to the end of the spacers, which will give me another 20 mm or so, at the moment I'm not sure if the Williams flattener is airtight or whether such a large plennum will introduce enough moisture to cause icing.

I had a search through old posts for an hour or so last night and it appears to be a common problem with the qhy8 , the filter glass is way more reflective than an astronomic one I have floating around at home. I am toting with the idea of getting another standard filter ffrom gamma and knocking out the glass and getting the astronomic one cut down and fitted. That seems my beat option at the moment.
I did pm a couple of others as to their experiences and they have been quick to reply, but it seems were stuck to some degree.

Thanks for all your input, at least I have identified the cause and it's not the scope causing it which was my worst fear.

Cheers Clive